anna_unfolding: (Default)
[personal profile] anna_unfolding
So I had two really fun theatripod rehearsals today for two different projects, and I loved them! I got to talk to several people I’ve only ever seen reference to online, and meet several more. Plus it was wonderful to hear the voices of people that I’ve met irl before and talk with my fandom friends. Yay, collaboration!!!



Even in these short rehearsals, I felt a lot of things got worked through quite effectively. In the Teen Wolf/World of Warcraft pack project, there were a lot of technical things to sort out in how to navigate difficult scenes where a host of characters are on an online chat together. I mean, honestly. The chat was six or seven Teen Wolf characters as their online avatars in a WoW-themed fic, so it wasn’t even Lydia and Stiles, it was their online selves (how’s that for fannish meta), with different names and roles in their game than they have in their real TW lives. Some of their chat lines were public to the group and in the midst of that, some lines were like DM’s. AAAAAND, the fandom actors playing them were on skype, a different online interface, using spoken words and not typing. Jeez, what a challenge! That was exactly why I wanted to be part of this project, because of the technical and artistic challenges and to give our director different takes and examples so that she can choose how best to tell a complex story of real events and online chats over the singular medium of a sound file. LET ME JUST SAY I DO NOT ENVY HER, NOR THE EDITING THAT AWAITS HER!

In the other project, a pretend dating FoB fic, we discussed the characters’ inner dialogues and how to interrupt each other and how best to dramatize those feelings. So great!!

But the thing that is striking me as really interesting is that I learned something really important about myself as an actor today. I think I already knew this intuitively, but not having ever done acting with others where I play one character against theirs, I never really got it.

I have no acting training. I have no idea how to say dialogue with someone else’s voice or feelings. I’ve never even taken one drama class, beyond, like, the middle school play that everyone did. I know no tricks for characterization. But thinking of Patrick in the FoB fic, I do know how it feels to want something, and enjoy something, but feel horrible about it. I know how it feels to wake up turned on and vulnerable and have to jarringly face reality that that person isn’t yours, and pack up your emotions quickly and guardedly. I know how it feels to be just fucking done with the packing up of emotions, and feeling the electric energy of letting your guard down and asking openly for what you want. To wait. To know.

And this is why I can do a vulnerable!Patrick but probably couldn’t do a smarmy-but-good-natured!Pete, not without some serious instruction. I don’t know what smarmy-but-attractive-and-good-natured FEELS like. I’ve never ever been that. (idk, perhaps I could get on board with Pete's protective instincts in this fic?? I guess I'd find a way to identify with him, right?)

It’s also why I wanted to hear all the narration prior to my/Patrick’s emotional moments, the interruption of which cost me something, artistically. I am in Patrick. (Um, that sounds hotter than I meant it.) Well, the way I meant it could translate to hot podfic, though, I guess! I meant that when Pearl was reading the way Pete was kissing Patrick, or pulling away, or walking towards him, or smiling incandescently at him, I was RIGHT THERE. I found the moments in my life that resonated with Patrick and it’s like I copy-and-pasted them into this moment between two band mates on tour, even though I have zero experience with their lifestyle.

I feel others’ emotions so readily and easily. It’s a wonderful gift, but it’s caused me an enormous amount of pain and derailing in my life until I began to learn what is going on and how to work with it. It gets in the way because I know how they feel; I’ve felt that way before, and I didn’t get it attended to (a parent problem from when I was young), so now I damn well sure am going to attend to this thing (that I recognize, emotionally) in the other person. The problem is, then I don’t attend to whatever is currently in me, and the thing where I have feelings but no one attends to them happens over and over again. This actually resulted in me not knowing my feelings in the moment (unless they matched whoever I was with), and only ever feeling them on others’ behalves at a later date. WHICH IS NOT COOL. AND NOT A GOOD WAY TO NAVIGATE LIFE.

But… staying in myself and my own feelings can be costly. It cost me a very beloved friend once, and another dear person last night. It’s not as fun when that happens. Of course, it will be fun when staying in my own experience is happening with people who expect nothing less or more from me than that. And for those of you who are like that with me and with each other, thank you. But here, with acting? I’ve found a place where I can do the thing I am training myself to NOT do irl. I can get lost in Patrick’s feelings, and connect them emotionally to my past feelings. And all of that results--not in me getting walked on by a more emotionally-demanding person--but in ART and PERFORMANCE and the manifestation of the creator/author's vision.

I am elated to find a place where it’s okay for me to feel into another’s feelings with my own stuff. And where it’s Good and Right that I do so, instead of being emotionally dangerous to me and misleading to them. I got to do this really pointedly over the summer with Disclosures, and pretty intensely/deliberately with the recent hockey podfic I posted, To Challenge Control. I am so, so grateful for podfic and for the out-loud reading I’ve done for nine years with my kids. And today, I'm grateful for theatripod, a place where I can even more solidly do That Thing, since I am not shifting between characters and narrator. I truly am in Patrick for those 20 minutes. And it feels amazing. I am so proud of what I can do, and to begin working in a world where I can bring that to an artistic process and product. There’s so much for me to learn, but I know there is also so much that I bring. <3 <3 <3


Originally posted at my DW here.

Date: 2012-12-15 08:12 pm (UTC)
girlpearl: Mikey Way on stage in the fog (lonely god complex)
From: [personal profile] girlpearl
I will try to formulate a more coherent reply to this at a later date, but basically, your description of how you podfic is how I write, and reading this made me feel weirdly validated or heard or something. I'm not sure what, just that it's good :)

Date: 2012-12-15 08:21 pm (UTC)
melusina: (Default)
From: [personal profile] melusina
This is a really interesting post! It really resonates with me and the way I work as a director. I think you know that I trained as a director in high school, college and grad school - along the way, I took a bunch of acting classes in a variety of styles. The style I tend to work in as both an actor and a director is rooted in emotional/psychological realism which focuses on sense memory, connecting your own experiences/history to the character's and using that to get yourself deeply into the character's head (it's closely related to what's sometime's called "Method" acting), so all of this makes perfect sense to me! It can be very emotionally intense for everyone involved in a production (including the audience). It's really good for me to know that this is how you want to work and I'm glad to talk more about Patrick's motivation and what might be going through his head if it would be helpful to you to bounce that off someone. . .

Date: 2012-12-15 08:22 pm (UTC)
regonym: (Default)
From: [personal profile] regonym
...goodness, I don't really envy the director of that Teen Wolf podfic either. Sounds very complicated! XD

It makes me really happy to hear that podficcing fulfills an emotional need for you in a safe way, and how it turns something you've been fighting against doing in your RL to a positive thing in this context. I enjoyed reading about your acting process a lot. :)

Date: 2012-12-16 06:32 am (UTC)
regonym: (Default)
From: [personal profile] regonym
I'll look forward to hearing it! I like well-done AUs a lot - I remember reading a WoW!fic in Sherlock fandom that I loved to bits.

The differences in reasoning behind your decision to submit or not in each case are subtle but so, so important. I think that it's great that you've figured out where your boundaries are and are comfortable in asserting them. I'm still working on figuring out a lot of that stuff for myself, largely from the lack of any practical D/s experience. I can track the way I react to certain things, but it's often unexpected for me - I won't realize something's a button for me until I read something that makes my breath catch in my throat. It's a work in progress, I suppose. ^^

Date: 2012-12-16 04:39 am (UTC)
analise010: (Default)
From: [personal profile] analise010
:D. I'm glad you've found a place where you can feel your feelings along with someone else's. It's nice to have a place where you feel like you belong. That's not easy to come by.

I could never be that vulnerable in a podfic, let alone real life. I have the opposite problem where I can look at my feelings and those of someone else very objectively. All of that "calculating" is sometimes counterproductive, but my entire life has been based around having 374083091 contingency plans. People always tell me to lighten up and go with the flow, thought, after seeing as many things go wrong as I have, that's a hard concept to escape from.

Profile

anna_unfolding: (Default)
anna_unfolding

October 2014

S M T W T F S
   1234
56789 1011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 09:44 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios