Guys there's something that I screwed up on in my post this afternoon, and it stems from not knowing tumblr culture and also from white privilege.
When I linked you to witchspell's post, I did it through a link to Siri's commentary on that post instead of to witchspell's original post. I understand now that doing so elevates the commentary because it gives a platform to the response, and that was not my intention at all. I should have linked to witchspell's own post unless I was specifically wanting to highlight the commentary. In this case, I wasn't trying to highlight Siri's commentary; I simply was linking you where I read the post. I'm not actually on tumblr and I don't follow witchspell; I saw their post because of Siri's commentary. Anyway, when writing about how people of color might feel alienated by fandom's ignoring of a hockey player in blackface, I should link directly to the words of people of color. The reason this has to do with white privilege is that I am not accustomed to being talked over or having my written word erased and was blissfully and problematically unaware that not directly linking to a person of color might feel silencing. I know this really hurt at least one person, and I'm sorry.
Here is a direct link to witchspell's post.
I also found via Katarin a few other perspectives by people of color on how they feel about fandom's response to Patrick Kane. Here is giganticism's commentary on witchspell's post, and here is macca21's.
When I linked you to witchspell's post, I did it through a link to Siri's commentary on that post instead of to witchspell's original post. I understand now that doing so elevates the commentary because it gives a platform to the response, and that was not my intention at all. I should have linked to witchspell's own post unless I was specifically wanting to highlight the commentary. In this case, I wasn't trying to highlight Siri's commentary; I simply was linking you where I read the post. I'm not actually on tumblr and I don't follow witchspell; I saw their post because of Siri's commentary. Anyway, when writing about how people of color might feel alienated by fandom's ignoring of a hockey player in blackface, I should link directly to the words of people of color. The reason this has to do with white privilege is that I am not accustomed to being talked over or having my written word erased and was blissfully and problematically unaware that not directly linking to a person of color might feel silencing. I know this really hurt at least one person, and I'm sorry.
Here is a direct link to witchspell's post.
I also found via Katarin a few other perspectives by people of color on how they feel about fandom's response to Patrick Kane. Here is giganticism's commentary on witchspell's post, and here is macca21's.